Links for the week. An assortment of thought-provoking, amusing, mind-bending, or conversation-starting pieces. As usual, linking does not imply agreement.
1. See the World Through the Eyes of a Cat
2. An Interview on Žižek
3. Slavoj Žižek: “Most of the idiots I know are academics”
4. The Prayer of Jabez
5. What If? – Expanding Earth
6. Unity of Act and God Beyond Substance – Augustine on incarnation and Trinity
8. God in the Wilderness – Leithart on Rosenstock Huessy’s discussion of the importance of Anthony
9. The Liturgical “We”
10. Platonic Barth?
11. Academician as a Missionary Calling
12. Writerly Habits
13. The Mother of All Disruptions
14. Obamacare and the Task of Responsible Opposition: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3
15. Inequality: The Ugly Truth
16. “Performance” and Reading of Texts in Early Christianity
17. Unity and Diversity in Preaching
18. Why Fundamentalism Often Works
19. Welcome to the Global Parish: Why Sentimentalizing Anglican Locality Isn’t Helping
20. The 29 Stages of a Twitterstorm
21. College Women: Stop Getting Drunk
22. To Prevent Rape on College Campuses, Focus on the Rapists, Not the Victims
23. Alcohol Education is Not Rape Apology
24. Jesus and Civic Masculinity
25. The Emerging Divide in Evangelical Theology
26. What Did the Declaration of Independence Do?
27. The Emasculation of Walter White – A piece I wrote for the Good Men Project. Breaking Bad spoilers alert.
28. A Theologian’s Influence, and Stained Past, Live On
29. Highest Paid Athlete Hailed From Ancient Rome
30. A Personal Manifesto for Men and Boys
31. How to Quit Mindlessly Surfing the Internet and Actually Get Stuff Done
32. Eating Popcorn in the Cinema Makes People Immune to Advertising
33. Marilynne Robinson: Christian, Not Conservative
34. The Government Within
35. Enemies of Freedom
36. TED Talks are Lying to You
37. Sleep ‘Cleans’ the Brain of Toxins
38. Blow to Multiple Human Species Idea
39. The Best Way of Getting Out of the Whole Canaanite Genocide Thing
40. Time to Admit It: The Church Has Always Been Right on Birth Control
41. 13 Things that Define the New American Centre
42. Forget About Learning Styles. Here’s Something Better.
43. Deadliest Creatures (That Are Easiest to Miss)
44. He Once Grew the Biggest Pumpkin Ever in Virginia. Now He’s Going to Change the World.
45. The Guy Who Shrunk His 1950s Hometown
46. What Happens When a Language Has No Numbers?
47. The Paperback Revolution
48. Death Doesn’t Care If You’re Sexy
49. What is ‘Evil’ to Google?
50. Google’s Ngram Viewer Goes Wild
51. Google’s Big Break
52. Will the Real Complementarian Stand Up? – Rachel Held Evans complains about the silence of complementarian critics on the questions she raises in A Year of Biblical Womanhood. I may not be representative of complementarianism, but readers of this blog will know that I have engaged with her book extremely extensively here.
53. Is the Nuclear Family the Problem?
54. Will a Chicken That’s Fed Lemons Taste Like Lemons?
55. 60+ Family Tradition Ideas
56. Twenty Easily Confused Pairs of Bible Characters
57. An eagle-eyed commenter observes that Gale Boetticher (from Breaking Bad) possesses a copy of Beveridge’s translation of Calvin’s Institutes
58. Super Clever Sunglass Illusion
60. Lily Myers, “Shrinking Women”