The Puritanboard is like those websites which have collections of videos of spectacular crashes, pratfalls, stupid stunts going wrong, accidents with fireworks and the like. However, the clever people on the Puritanboard struck on the innovative idea of trying to do the same thing with theology. Boy, does it work! Go to the Puritanboard and you will see theological paradigms drive full-force into walls of logic. You will see the dashing around of headless chickens. You will theologies so freakish that the Barnums of the world would be green with envy.

Whilst I will admit that John Robbins’ Trinity Foundation website is more consistent in this respect, one has to respect those people on the Puritanboard who, day after day, produce ribtickling material that has us creasing up with laughter. At the moment, there is the theological equivalent of a multiple car pile-up in progress. Just when I thought that it couldn’t get any better, C. Matthew McMahon went ahead and posted this. Brilliant, simply brilliant!

This entry was posted in What I'm Reading. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to

1. Stewart says:

It’s kind of like a cartoon. This one is my personal favorite.

Wow, that is a good one! This is another great example of McMahon at his fiery best.

3. John H says:

Yeah, but you’re only saying that because you’re a sub-Christian Wright-worshipping apostate. At least C. Matthew McMahon is now innocent of your blood, that’s all I can say.

4. Tim Enloe says:

I just spent a few weeks on a Catholic message board characterized by much the same attitude on the parts of several of its most active participants. McMahon has nothing on Art Sippo, let me tell you.

My wife frequently wonders why I subject myself to such “freakish” environments. What profit comes from it? But I seem to be like a moth drawn to a flame. What is it about car wrecks, anyway?

5. Scott says:

It’s a pity to see things like this. McMahon was my first introduction to Covenant Theology. His “Brief Introduction…” was immensely helpful in allowing me to take first steps in seeing continuity between the Old and New.

::Sigh::

At least people (including professors) at my seminary are relatively sane.

6. Thanks for linking to these and for therefore getting me totally wound up (ergo spoiling my breakfast). AHHHHHRGGHHHH (I deleted certain expletives from my first attempt of this response).

7. Christopher Witmer says:

Well, we should all be grateful that McMahon and other denizens of The Pukin’ Board are not theonomists, otherwise when fellow nutjob R. Scott Clark (I call McMahon and Clark “cur” and “con-cur”) says that he looks forward to the impending lynching of Steve Wilkins, we should all have to start rubbing our necks wondering when the literal hangings will begin. In any case, the rhetoric coming from that direction is very much in the spirit of the St. Bartholemew’s Day Massacre or the French Revolution’s Reign of Terror: there is nothing wrong with the Presbyterian Church that a violent purge couldn’t take care of.

8. Christopher Witmer says:

Tim, I wonder if McMahon, Clark and Sippo will have to spend eternity locked together inside a phonebooth, and the phone will only dial Doug Wilson.

9. weston says:

I’m embarrassed for him.

10. Mark Jones says:

Christopher W.,

Your own rhetoric leaves a lot to be desired!

Mark J.

11. It’s true enough that talking to these guys is akin to handling sweaty dynamite.

But the unmentioned reality is that none of them got the memo back in 1998 that boards are lame, and that’s what makes them an appropriate environment for theological lamers.

12. Dennis A Bratcher says:

well, it would be hard to receive a memo from 1998 when the last document they “received” was published in 1646

13. Bob Vigneault says:

Oh I get it, you guys are using sarcasm. Brilliant! “The Pukin Board”, very classy. Blessings to you friends.

Bob Vigneault