Exams

I have two important exams this week, one tomorrow and one on Saturday. Unfortunately, my revision for both exams has been minimal. I haven’t been feeling too great over the last couple of weeks and over the last few days I have found it hard to focus on my studies. There are so many odd jobs that come to one’s attention when one has to prepare for an exam.

I can’t wait until these exams are over and I can enjoy three weeks off. I hope to spend much of those weeks working on my languages: Hebrew, Greek, French and Chinese. I might even start working on some German. I also look forward to doing some more focused reading and prayer, to learning some Chinese cooking and preparing a few special meals, starting to learn how to ride the unicycle, having a few bicycle rides, finishing the jumper that I am presently knitting (I have found lots of time to knit during my revision period; I record my revision notes into the computer and play them back to myself while I knit), making a video or two, getting back into a couple of games of Civilization IV that I started last term with some friends and playing the Seafarers of Catan expansion pack for the first time.

I also hope that the posting on this blog will improve both in quantity and quality during the break. Finishing my N.T. Wright talks is near the top of my to-do list at the moment.

However, all of this must be put to the back of my mind until Saturday afternoon…

This entry was posted in What I'm Doing. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Exams

1. Gosh… I’m tired just reading about it! I don’t know how you could work up the motivation to study 4 (and maybe 5?!?!) languages at a time over a 3 week period. I struggle to work up the motivation for just one!! What’s your secret?

2. Elbert says:

How did you like the seafarers expansion? I found it a big dissapointment after playing the other expansion (knights and cities or whatever they call it in the English rip-off version). But maybe that’s because I only played it just once or twice.

But we pray for you to be able to focus your attention and use your gifts wisely during this time. God bless.

3. Mark says:

all the best with your exams

Jonathan,
    I really enjoy studying Chinese (and have a number of Chinese speakers that I regularly e-mail or chat to on MSN) and don’t mind studying the French, which certainly helps. There is no motivation like enjoyment of a subject. I have two friends who will be meeting with me on a number of occasions over the break to go over the Greek and putting my back into the Hebrew will spare me a lot of pain next semester. The Hebrew is the only one for which it will be really hard to motivate myself, but I think that I should be able to do it.

I find it easier to work when I add a bit of variety to my day and do some enjoyable and unusual things to reward myself for successfully completely periods of study. Certain parts of language study can also be done along with other things, whether physical exercise, housework, cooking, computer gaming, drawing, knitting, etc. I try to make the most of this fact. I like to multitask. If I have to do something mindless with my hands I like to listen to something thought-provoking; if I have to listen to something in the course of my studies I will try to do something creative with my hands. Within the last several days I have knit almost the whole front of a full-size jumper by doing this.

Elbert,
    I haven’t played the Seafarers expansion yet. My housemate John ordered it online a couple of days ago and it should arrive before the week is out. I am thankful for your prayers. I trust that you, Annewieke and Aron are all well.

Mark,
    Thanks! One down, one to go. The one this morning went OK. I am relatively satisfied with it and now can begin to think about the final exam, which I am slightly more concerned about.

Hope it went ok this morning. I’m same as you… I think

It went OK. I did the questions on natural theology, patristic Christology, Calvin and predestination. I was more or less satisfied with what I wrote, if not with my time-management (which often lets me down on exams). It doesn’t help that I am a slow writer. How did you find the exam?

7. AH says:

good luck bud!

8. “There is no motivation like enjoyment of a subject.”

There is the basis of my problem. Languages are the one area of study I don’t enjoy. I like knowing them… just not the process of learning them.