Cricket: A New American Craze?

President Bush playing cricket
High civilization might reach the New World yet.

This entry was posted in In the News. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Cricket: A New American Craze?

1. Peter says:

Yep, you were right. That is a shot befitting of a farmer.

For the unenlightened, Peter’s comment above follows from a remark that I made about the style of some of President Bush’s batting strokes over tea.

3. John says:

Leithart mentioned Wroclaw today.

I noticed that. He lectured at Sebastian’s church’s yearly conference there earlier this summer. I attended the conference last year when James Jordan was speaking. Wroclaw is a beautiful city.

How are things with you at the moment? It’s been a while since I heard from you.

5. wyclif says:

A couple of the east Indian guys at work play in a league.

I’ve played a few times. I think I understand the rules at this point. Nobody else over here undestands what I’m on about.

6. John says:

Things are going very well for me – I’ve never been happier. I fall into the temptation of worrying when things will fall apart, but that should never be my concern.

How are you?

By the way, I finally got into 24. I have a funny story, too. My godfather – my dad’s best friend – is president of a division of Fox. Well, I was watching Day Three, and I was taken aback when Senator Keeler introduces his campaign advisor, because the advisor had the same name as my godfather. Keeler says something like, “I wouldn’t be where I am today without him.” And then, right after that scene, Bauer is talking to CTU and says (again, something like), “I’m making a right onto Desoto Avenue,” which was also weird.

I saw my godfather this summer, and I told him about those scenes. It turns out that my godfather was one of the few people who wanted to keep the show after its first season; so, as a sign of gratitude, one of the creators gave the campaign advisor my godfather’s name – and he also threw in the Desoto reference.

John,

Great to hear that things are well with you. Have you any plans to come over to visit the UK sometime in the not too distant future? It would be great to meet up again.

I’m doing OK, thanks (although I am suffering with a really mean cold at the moment). I return to university on Thursday and am looking forward to getting back into studies again. I love St. Andrews and wouldn’t want to be anywhere else at the moment. I prefer it to Wales.

That fact about your godfather is cool. I also remember that you came to mind when I heard the DeSoto reference in 24!